Tuesday, August 2, 2011

What do you really want?

“What do you want me to do for you?” Jesus asked him. The blind man said, “Rabbi, I want to see.” Mark 10:51 (NIV)


As I was participating in an early morning boot camp at the fabulous Fitness Connection, the following quote written on their whiteboard arrested my attention. It said, Don’t sacrifice what you want for what you want now. Prior to seeing it, I must admit that my muscles were very fatigued, and part of me wanted to stop, throw in the towel and wave the white flag of surrender. However after reading it, instead of settling for what I wanted at that moment, I was reenergized to instead go after what I really want (bulging biceps and tremendous triceps!) I believe that my experience describes our daily dilemma as we are forced to make many choices. This dynamic of decision-making is sometimes difficult because inherent in all of us is the tendency to choose what is comfortable, convenient or what is conducive to give temporary pleasure. We are constantly bombarded by things that sound good, feel good, tastes good and looks good. In these times, if we are able to follow the example of Bartimaeus, we will be able to make the best decision and make the most of our moment. How does it work?


1. Stay focused on your goal. From the onset Bartimaeus has one thing in mind which is to be able to see. In vs. 51 when Jesus asks him what he wanted, he doesn’t deviate from that desire. He is able to plainly state that his ultimate wish is to be able to see. Have you ever asked yourself, “What do I really want?” What is it that you long for, or will help you get to your destiny? After finding the answer write it down, say it repeatedly and demonstrate the determination to go after it daily.


2. Don’t settle for surface stuff. It’s easy to get sidetracked by surface stuff which may bring us temporary pleasure but not lasting satisfaction. Bartimaeus was a beggar and he could have easily asked for money. However, he understood that after regaining his sight he wouldn’t have to be codependent anymore. Refuse to get detoured or distracted from your destiny. As the Fitness Connection says, “Don’t sacrifice what you want for what you want now.”


I’m glad that I was able to stick with my workout because I know that it will eventually pay off. In the same way, one day you’ll be able to look back and say, “I’m glad I made the right decision.” I believe that’s the meaning of Robert Frost’s poem, The Road not Taken. I leave you with the last stanza of that poem.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.


P.S.- If you live in the Shelby County area, and are looking to get in shape, look no further. Join the Fitness Connection and let Shone, Marco and Gaye show you practical ways to improve your fitness. Check them out at: http://www.fitnessconnect.net/


PEACE!

No comments:

Post a Comment