Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Who's On First?

Many are the plans in a man’s heart, but it is the Lord’s purpose that will prevail. Prov. 19:21


One of my favorite scenes in the movie Rainman is when he does the old Abbott and Castello routine. As I watched it, I was captivated by his continual repetition of the question, "Who's on first?" I'd like to take a different perspective and rephrase that question. As you think about your plans and God's purpose, "What's on first?" Which has taken precedence in your life? The scripture above let's us know that God's purpose will prevail over our plans. But how many of us have gotten it twisted? We come up with our own ideas of what we want to be or do first and then come to God later.

For example, in my own life, upon entering college at the University of Southern Mississippi, I planned on being a physical therapist. For three years I took courses related to that field until it dawned on me that even though it would be a lucrative career, it was not my purpose or passion. If I had gone to God before I went to college, I would have found out that my purpose was tied to teaching and would have saved myself a lot of time. Make sure you consult God about your purpose prior to making your plans. If you do so you'll find the following:

1. Purpose is more vital than plans- God is more interested in His purpose for you than your plans.

2. Purpose should precede plans- Make sure you consult God for your purpose before you make your plans.

3. Plans should flow out of purpose- Finding God's purpose will enable you to plan more effectively.


Today I encourage you to let God's purpose for your life guide you along the right path.

PEACE!

No comments:

Post a Comment