Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Heroes Part 2



A teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence stops. ~Henry Brooks Adams
     I am privileged and proud to be part of one of the most powerful professions in the world. Few endeavors enable one to have such an enormous impact on the lives of individuals. Today I am able to enjoy this experience because of the influence of several teachers in my own life. As I reflect upon these terrific teachers and the powerful lessons they have instilled within, I am certain that I have been helped by real heroes! One such individual was able to broaden my horizons and fill my mental skies with positive expectations. This person, my High School English teacher, Barbara Belisle, is an extraordinary hero!

     I encountered Ms. Belisle during a period of my life when my primary passion was sports. During my 11th grade year many college coaches were trying to persuade me to choose their respective teams. At this time, like most immature youth, I felt that my future was in sports. However, because of Ms. Belisle's instruction, which went well beyond any textbook, I was able to better understand my true potential. How did this occur? First she had the Courage to Confront. I remember one day after class she pulled me aside and expressed to me that I needed to be concerned with getting a quality education. She helped me understand my need to demonstrate excellence not only on the court but also in the classroom. She also mentioned that since I was in the public's eye, I needed to make sure that I was equipped to be able to communicate in an effective manner. Her guidance changed my perspective and I went from being just an athlete to becoming an academician; from a sports star to a scholar. I am grateful that she had the courage to confront because she was truly concerned about my well-being!
     In addition, Ms. Belisle Creatively Connected with me as a student. I believe that good teachers are able to meet students where they are and help them get to where they should be. I must admit as a high School English student, I had not shown much interest in Shakespeare or Hemingway. However, this all changed after being in Ms. Belisle's class. Being a gifted author and writer, she would often begin class by quoting poetry. I was fascinated at how she could remember so much information and also paint a picture with her words. Her love of poetry sparked my interest and because of her I now quote poets such as Langston Hughes when speaking to students as I talk to them about their dreams, "Hold fast to dreams for if dreams die, life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly. Hold fast to dreams for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow." Thanks Ms. Belisle for helping bring out the best in me!

     Anyone who was fortunate enough to be taught by Ms. Belisle will agree that she is one of the world's greatest teachers. Her ability to teach all types of students was phenomenal. However, behind her brilliance in the classroom was one of her greatest strengths, a humble and caring spirit. Presently when I see her, she always demonstrates concern by inquiring about my family. She still encourages me to pursue excellence! Ms. Belisle, I salute you as being an inspiring hero!


No comments:

Post a Comment