Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Heroes Part 4

     Growing up as a boy who was, and still is, very fond of basketball, there were many "heroes" that I wanted to be like.  From Dr. J, to Dominique Wilkins, and of course my all-time favorite player, Earvin "Magic" Johnson, countless hours were spent outside on my dirt basketball court mimicking these players moves. Now as a mature man, though my jump shot has faded (only slightly), I still have "heroes in my heart" which give me a positive pattern to emulate.  It has been well said that "imitation is the highest form of flattery", and  I certainly believe that it's ok to be a copycat as long as you copy the right cat!  The next hero in my heart, Dr. Marcia Rock, is such a model of teaching excellence.


     I met Dr. Rock at the University of Alabama and was amazed by her incredible passion. She enthusiastically works to educate, and empower students to be people that not only make a living but also make a difference.  In addition 3 C's, commitment, competence, and caring makes her the consummate teacher and my hero.


     Dr. Rock is unparalleled in the level of commitment that she demonstrates.  First of all she is committed to a higher call.  Whereas many teachers view what they do as a career, she understands that it is a calling.  This creates an incredible passion for students that are oftentimes “overlooked” by others.  She unwaveringly works to leave no child behind.  Her passion is also demonstrated in her commitment to advocacy for students, especially those that do not always have their voices heard.  As an effective advocate, she has caused others including myself to join her in this endeavor.  She is also committed to being an agent of change.  Unlike many educators that communicate the need for change with their lips, she does so with her life.  A vivid example of this is the University of Alabama Project TEEACH program, which she directed.  This program  aimed to transform elementary educators into superior special educators.  As a member of the initial cohort, I experienced personal change as a result of being in the midst of Dr, Rock.  One of the vital lessons that I glean from her life is that superior teachers are servant-leaders. 


     In addition to commitment, Dr. Rock demonstrates a high level of competence.  This thorough understanding of her field allows gives her the ability to communicate in a highly effective manner.  Her ability to simplify complicated ideas for a wide range of students, and professionals is very impressive.  Most importantly, this competence translates into the use of research-based strategies, and methods as well as best practice.  The use of these practices gives students the best chance to succeed.  She stresses the importance of going the extra mile and doing the research instead of just “getting by” as a teacher.  Although she is competent and very capable, she is one of the most humble individuals in this world.  She uses her competence not to get “glory” but to make life better for parents, students and teachers. 


     Lastly, Dr. Rock inspires others to care for the students that we teach.  Unfortunately many educators care about everything except the main thing, students.  In a world where test scores are significant, Dr. Rock values students first.  She models this by leaving undeniable fingerprints of care and concern in the lives of her students.  My life has been significantly impacted because Dr. Rock cared enough to give me a chance.  Everyday countless numbers of individuals hope for and wish for a chance to rise up or reach their dreams.  I can easily identify with this group because prior to meeting Dr. Rock, labels were placed on me.  However, Dr. Rock saw my potential and had the courage to unearth the treasure within.  Without her sense of caring, and vision I would not be a teacher today.  This has inspired me to demonstrate the same level of care and the ability to see the enormous potential and possibilities within our students.  I am teaching today to give our students a chance, just like Dr. Marcia Rock gave me a chance!


     Thanks Dr. Rock for you are truly an inspiration.  You have given me the courage to be a relentless, resourceful and, reflective educator! 

No comments:

Post a Comment