Sunday, May 13, 2012

Heroes Part 3

     Since day three of reminiscing about "heroes in my heart" is Wednesday I decided to  devote this edition to those who have shaped my spiritual being.  Heroes can be found not only in the traditional classroom setting but there are also many in the church environment.  For even in the ecclesiastical realm, education is vital.  As Hosea 4:6 says, "My people perish for a lack of knowledge."  Thankfully this has not been the case for me as I've been blessed to have many insightful and inspiring instructors who have helped me to grow spiritually.  For lack of time I want to specifically mention one that is very dear to me.

     As a young boy growing up as a PK (Preacher's Kid), going to church was of course a family priority.  As a matter of fact it seems like we spent much of our time in church (which is probably why I didn't have time for a pet!)  Showing up for church was one thing but staying alert in church was another matter for me.  I was known to have the tendency to sleep in the sanctuary from time to time!  However this was not the case during one of my favorites in the church, Sunday School.  A major reason for this was because my very first Sunday School teacher, my sister Deborah,  provocatively provided for me necessary experiences which can be described by the acronym "LIFT" which I describe below.

"L"- She quite simply loved children.  This may seem like an obvious characteristic that those instructing children should have but unfortunately, this is not always the case.  Some individuals seeking to lead students do not always exhibit love for them.  Of course it's difficult to effectively lead those you don't love.  In addition, kids can easily tell when they are not being loved.  The old saying is true, "Kids don't care how much you know until they know how much you care."  My sister had and still has an aroma that attracts children to her.  No wonder she eventually became a midwife!   From a child, my friends and I loved going to church because we knew there was someone who actually wanted us there!

"I"- She instructed us in an interactive way.  One of the things that I remember about those early years in Sunday School were the songs and chants that we used to do.  From "He has the whole world in His hands", to "Rise, Shine, and Give God the Glory", there was never a dull moment in class.  My sister implemented what today would be called research-based practices such as gestures, signals, and  mnemonics to engage her students.  She actually used whole-brain teaching methods before there was such a thing! 

"F"- This is an easy one.  She made learning fun.  This wasn't the norm thirty years ago, as kids were expected to come, sit down and be quiet.  Older members basically had the perspective that since church was so important it didn't have to be interesting.  However my sister was different.  She wanted us to have a good time.  In recent years brain research suggests that fun is not just beneficial to learning but required for authentic learning and long-term memory. No wonder we were able to retain much more in her class!

"T"- She helped transform us by Truth.  Not only did my sister have an effective teaching style but more importantly she had substance.  In that early Sunday School Class I was taught many truths which have laid the foundation for my present ministry.  That's why I never devalue or take for granted the importance of those who minister to children.  The framework that they provide is essential to ensure future growth.

     Well I've described another hero in my heart.  Thanks Sis for helping "lift" me to another level!




No comments:

Post a Comment